Tea Eggs Recipe
If you have neighbors with chickens you may be benefitting from the abundance of spring eggs. A tasty and unique egg preparation is tea eggs. They are delicious as a snack or a side dish, are very portable and would make a lovely addition to a picnic.
Gluten free recipe:
- 6 eggs
- 2-3 star anise
- 3 tea bags or 3tbsp of black tea / early grey tea
- 1cup water
- 3/4 cup of tamari
- Orange zest of 1 orange
- 2 tbsp Chinese Five Spice
- 1 tbsp Peppercorns
1. Steep tea in boiling water for 20 minutes to make a strong brew of tea
2. Cook eggs 3 mins at strong boil
3. Let eggs cool slightly
4. Crackle eggshells but do not remove shells by tapping shell with the back of a metal spoon.
5. Combine the tea, star anise, tamari, orange zest and five spice together in a small pot and keeping pot covered bring to a rolling boil.
6. Turn the heat down to a simmer and add crackled eggs to the pot to simmer for half an hour covered(if liquid does not cover eggs add more water)
7. After 30 minutes turn off heat and allow eggs to steep in liquid for 3 hours to overnight. The lobger the steep the stronger the flavor.
Peel before serving- you will notice a lovely marbled effect on the unpeeled boiled eggs- serve whole or cut in half.
Tea eggs can be stored in refrigerator for up to a week.
(For Instapot folkow all instructions until crackling of egg then put all ingredients into instapot to cook 20 mins low pressure natural release-in a steam basket )