This rice porridge or congee was a winter staple at our house. It is easy to make, comforting and full of warming flavors for the colder nights. It helps keep your immune system strong, and settles and warms the stomach. The Golden Chicken Congee is a great way to use bone broth, any cut of chicken can be used, and the sweet rice and fish sauce can be found at the local asian store or the asian section of your market.
Golden Chicken Congee
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 (2 inch) piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
1 (2 inch) piece fresh turmeric grated
2 1/4 pounds chicken wings or chicken thighs
1 tablespoon fish sauce
6 cups bone broth
1 cup glutinous sweet rice
salt and pepper to taste
1 green onion, chopped
1 lemon, sliced (optional)
1 teaspoon fish sauce for seasoning (optional)
1) Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat; cook and stir the onion, garlic, and ginger in the hot oil until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
2) Add the chicken; cook and stir together for 1 minute.
3) Stir the fish sauce into the pot, cover, and cook another 2 minutes.
4) Pour the chicken broth and tumeric into the pot.
5) Add the sweet rice and stir. Bring the mixture to a boil; cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally to assure the rice is not sticking to the bottom of the pot.
6) Season with salt and pepper.
7) Garnish with the green onion, and serve with lemon slices and additional fish sauce, if desired.
Tumeric: warming & bitter, ant-inflammatory, antioxidant, protects the liver from toxins, lowers cholesterol, improves rheumatoid arthritis symptoms, improves protein digestion, reduces uterine tumors, decreases menstrual pain
Olive Oil: warming, supports yin, creates a slowing or heaviness and grounding
Ginger: warm, pungent, Improves circulation, digestion, morning sickness, menstrual cramps, moves blood
Garlic: hot & pungent; promotes circulation, sweating, removes stagnant food and abdominal obstructions, inhibits the cold virus, treats pneumonia, asthma, diarrhea, warts, eliminates toxins from the body
Onion: warm, pungent, lowers blood pressure & cholesterol, decreases phlegm and inflammation of nose and throat, inhibits allergic reactions, induces sweating, treats bronchial inflammation, and chest congestion, calms the brain, general sedative
Salt: cooling, directs energy inward, stimulates kidneys, grounding, promotes fluid metabolism, detoxifies poisons, softens areas of the body, promotes bowel action
Pepper: warming, pungent, benefits the lungs, treats indigestion, induces sweating, counters food poisoning
Lemon: cool, sour, arrests cough, improves immune system, controls bleeding